Friday, April 9, 2010

Ethan's Spiritutal Birthday


Ethan has been interested and asking questions for almost a year now about accepting Christ. We wanted to make sure that he really understood what he was doing. It was a joke around the church staff that we would not let Ethan get saved. Wednesday night Derek and Ethan talked about it a lot while putting Ethan to bed. Derek told him that if he still wanted to do it tomorrow he should tell me when I picked him up from school and he would come home early from work. Well, I picked him up praying for him the whole time, and nothing happened. We decided he was still not really ready and would just keep praying for when he really was ready. After soccer practice, dinner and a science fair at school we made it home for the night. Ethan had finished taking a shower and declared to me that he wanted to ask Jesus in his heart. He was so excited. I told him I thought he was going to tell me when I picked him up and to that he replied, "I just remembered now!" Well, then let's do it. We waited for Derek to get home from some errands with Aubrey and the three of us sat on our bed while Derek asked Ethan questions one more time to make sure he understood everything.
We knelt down and Ethan repeated after Derek a simple salvation prayer. It was such a sweet and wonderful moment that I will never forget. As a side note, I had them stage this picture after we were finished.
I wrote inside his Bible the date and time so that he will always be able to remember his spiritual birthday. Look at how excited he is....priceless!
He then got on the phone and called a bunch of people to tell the good news. Grandma and Grandpa were lucky enough to be in town for the big event. Papa said, "Amen- Praise God!" Nana told him, "I have been praying for you!" and Miss Anne told him it was the best phone call she had all year. How blessed we are to have a strong spiritual heritage.

1 comment:

Jill said...

Tears of rejoicing. I am so excited for Ethan and he has such wonderful role models.