Thursday, February 14, 2008

Our Love Story

Seven years ago today Derek proposed to me. This morning I was remembering how it all started and I thought I would share it with you. I did my student teaching in Charlotte and went to the church my family had gone to while living there. Derek had joined the church as the worship pastor while I was in college. During my months of student teaching we were able to teach a bible study together for the youth. I was dating someone from college so we were just friends and got to know each other through our singles group. Anyway, I became single and got a job teaching in Concord. I needed a place to live and a member of the church owned the duplexes that Derek was living in and just happened to have an opening. While Derek was away on a mission trip I moved in 4 doors down from him. Derek was a huge help to me on many late nights getting stuff ready for my first classroom. We cut out so many laminated things it was insane. Anyway, he sent me flowers to school my first day teaching and that night we went on our first date. Now, Derek had not dating anyone in the 5 years he was at West Cabarrus. The first time he came and sat next to me in church (he usually sat on the first row) is still priceless in my mind. I think every head in the church turned and looked at us, followed by little whispers. That was the beginning. On Valentines day we got engaged. Derek is very creative and did a great job with every detail. He left a note on my car that morning. I tried to scan it, but it would not show up well. It read" Now the day has finally come, and now it's time to have some fun. Instead of going to church for a date, (there was a Valentine's banquet that night) I've made reservations at LaBibleoteque at eight. So wear what you wore the first time we went, you look your best and I'll be a gent'. Be ready at seven for a "night on the town." If you're a good girl, you'll get something round."
We went to that restaurant on our first date. Of course I was thrilled. Then reality sunk in. We went in August and now it was February. The outfit I wore then was a summer one. Derek had obviously overlooked that detail. I called him at work and asked if I could please wear something different. He told me that would be fine. Anyway, we had a nice dinner and then went back to his place where he had a Finacee card for me and a box of truffles. We were so full from dinner I declined the truffles. He insisted and took one and broke it open and inside was my ring. He had put some plastic around it and hollowed out the coconut truffle (neither of us like coconut) and melted chocolate back over it. He did the whole one knee thing and the evening was perfect. Anyway, things have changed in our life since then - mostly adding two children. Of course we have had arguments, but I still love him with all my heart and would do it all over again. Ms. Anne (his secretary) has volunteered to keep the kids tonight so that we can go out to dinner. I may even curl my hair with rollers. Below is a picture of beautiful tropical flowers that were delivered yesterday.

1 comment:

Chrystal said...

What a romantic story! Thanks for sharing it Heather, as I didn't even know your love story. Happy Valentine's Day. I hope you guys have a blast tonight!!