Monday, August 25, 2008

Cooking With Aubrey

The kids seem to have the ability to always know when I am cooking something and almost instantly two chairs are pushed up to the counter to help me. Sometimes it is cute and I welcome the help and sometimes they honestly just get in the way. This is especially true when I am in a hurry as it takes at least twice as long to complete the cooking task with my extra helpers. Yesterday, Derek asked me to make a cake for him to take to work on Monday as it was Pam (Administrative Assistant) and Barry's (student pastor) birthdays. I let the kids help on this adventure. Ethan helped bake the cake and unfortunately I did not take any pictures...what was I thinking! He cracked his first egg for the cake. He has been interested in this for some time now and I have always steered him away from doing it, envisioning the mess it would make. I have no idea how old I was when I cracked my first egg, but I too remember enjoying it so I gave in. Aubrey was napping so I thought is was a good time. To my surprise he did very well. He insisted on cracking all the eggs. I made him do it in a separate bowl so that we could pick out any egg shells. I only had to pick out a few. Ethan was also intrigued at touching the egg to see what it felt like. Ethan went to church early with Derek to help get ready for the small group party and Aubrey helped me make the icing and decorate the cake. Here are some pictures of my helper.
Both kids love the hook to my mixer and like to play Captain Hook with it.
Aubrey saying "Wow" as the butter and Crisco are mixing. She kept asking to taste it and I told her it would be yucky.
Getting caught trying to touch the mixer. For all those who are nervous, I did move her chair further away to avoid any accidents.
Aubrey helping dump in the powdered sugar.
Aubrey eating the powdered sugar she dumped on the counter.

The best part of baking with Mommy - licking the icing! She shirt was a mess after, but it did occupy her long enough for me to frost the cake.
The final product. For those who partook in the cake today I did make both kids wash there hands multiple times to avoid germs in the cake:)
An inside view... we did some pretty good damage to this thing today. Definitely not a low calorie dessert. The white is whipped cream. A note to Aunt Judy: Aubrey loved the whipped cream as much as she did at the lake. I had to move the bowl out of her reach so she would not keep putting her finger in it!

1 comment:

Chrystal said...

What cute pictures! Way to give in and let them "help". If I just mention the word cook Savannah goes crazy wanting to help me. We were in the car on Sunday and Dave and I were talking about needing to make muffins and she cried the entire way home wanting to "cook". Wonder why it's so appealling to them?