Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Ethan's Birthday

Yesterday was Ethan's 6th birthday. He has been battling a cough and thankfully he was feeling better and able to enjoy his birthday. He woke up to balloons in his room and really liked that. In fact, he asked if I could do that again next year. I made him his favorite breakfast - orange cinnamon rolls and off to school he went. Aubrey and I went in later to take cookies to his class. Ethan has decided recently that he does not care for cake frosting - not sure where that came from. So we decided to be different and took his favorite frosted cookies from Target as a treat instead of cupcakes. The kids loved them. Hard to figure out that he likes the cookie icing though, not that much different to me. Anyway, to try to please my son, I made him a snake cake for his birthday, but with whipped cream for icing. Well, the icing would not color the way it was supposed to so the snake was not very pretty, but he liked it and it tasted fine. We were sorry Nana could not enjoy the snake cake because she HATES snakes. Ethan thinks we should make her one for her birthday this year. On the way home from school he was talking about going shopping with his birthday money he had gotten and buy these shorts he wanted. They were Tony Hawk (a skateboarder) and they had a Tech Deck (mini skateboard) attached to them. He had seen them a couple of weeks back and really wanted them. I told him he could maybe get them for his birthday, so he has been counting down. What he did not know was that I told Aunt Kelly about them and she sent them to him in the mail along with a shirt from Uncle Keith and I had wrapped them up. Ethan was trying to convince me on the way home that he did not just want the shorts for the toy. He said, "I really like the details in the shorts too!" What a funny little guy. He had me laughing so hard. I let him open the present when he got home and he was so excited. We then went out shopping and he bought a remote controlled helicopter that he had seen and also a sleeveless shirt that he picked out. It is so funny that he now has an opinion on his clothes. Ms. Anne came over for dinner and cake and he opened his other presents. I had a shirt designed for him with a VHS tape on it that says Old School. Derek has a shirt with a cassette tape that says Old School and that is Ethan's favorite shirt and he likes to sleep in it. So I thought the VHS was more appropriate for him since he does not even know what a cassette is. We ended out the night with a Nerf gun fight between Ethan and Ms. Anne. I am not sure who had more fun! We had a great day and are so blessed to have Ethan in our lives. He is so sweet and already feels the Lord tugging at his heart. My prayer for him is that he will always keep his sweet spirit about him. He really is a great kid and we love him dearly!

No comments: