Thursday, October 30, 2008

Big Bark

Ethan gets to dress up tomorrow for school as his favorite story book character. When I taught First Grade I had the kids do this as well, not realizing how difficult it is for the parents. Oh, the things I would do differently now if I was still teaching since I have become a parent. Anyway, Ethan chose to be Big Bark from the book The Great Fuzz Frenzy. If you have not read the book it is one of our favorites. When I was the part time ESL teacher, the librarian gave me this book for Ethan as a thanks for helping with the book fair and we have loved it ever since. So, this was my task ahead of me this week. To make a costume that looked like this. Now, I am pretty creative, but not very good at sewing and such. The hard part is you can not just go out and buy a costume that goes with the book.
After many hours, here is our final product:


I was lucky and found green spider webbing at Walmart to be our "fuzz."
I casserole pan became our bottle cap hat. I hot glued it onto one of Ethan's hats so it would stay on better and not hurt his head. Thanks to my friend Jessica for the pan suggestion!
I sewed little ears to look like a prairie dog. I sewed in elastic so they would fit over his ears. I am not a seamstress, so those little suckers took over and hour to make. Obviously, a homemade costume, but I am happy with the outcome.

Ethan telling about his book in his class. The kids all really liked his costume and you could tell he was very proud to wear it. All the work was worth it to make him happy. The things we will do for our kids:)

No comments: